Natural health you can eat
We take enormous pride in PURAO® Manuka Honey. We know the land where it comes from, who harvests the honey and how it is packed so we can guarantee it’s purity at every step in its journey.
You can trust PURAO® Manuka Honey with the MGO grade. PURAO® Manuka Honey has only premium Manuka Honey, to ensure this each batch of Manuka Honey is independently certified in New Zealand so you know you are purchasing the genuine article.
In 1981 Dr Peter Molan (MBE), Associate Professor in Biochemistry at Waikato University, New Zealand confirmed that some strains of the New Zealand Manuka bush honey contains a naturally present, very stable and powerful non-peroxide activity not found in any other variety of honey.
What makes Manuka Honey Different?
For thousands of years Manuka Honey has been known for its antibacterial, healing and health enhancing properties. The benefits of Manuka have been documented throughout New Zealand and Maori history. Certain honeys from specific plants are more effective than others, and the honey that comes from some strains of the New Zealand Manuka bush (Leptospermum Scoparium) is one of these.
In 1981 Dr Peter Molan (MBE), Associate Professor in Biochemistry at Waikato University, confirmed that some strains of the New Zealand Manuka bush honey contains a naturally present, very stable and powerful non-peroxide activity not found in any other variety of honey.
Not all Manuka Honey is Real & Genuine
It is estimated that up to 80% of all honey labelled as Manuka honey is not legitimate Manuka Honey. To ensure your Manuka honey is genuine, look for the our ‘hexagon gold mark’ on pack so you are guaranteed it is certified and true to label.
- look for the GOLD hexagon symbol on pack
- ensure it has CREATED AND MADE IN NEW ZEALAND. Then you know it’s from New Zealand, the leaders and growers of real Manuka Honey
- check it has been independently tested by a leading laboratory, and we recommend only in New Zealand (NZ). If it is not tested in NZ, you will not know what and how the producer has undertaken their tests and what standard they are testing for. Therefore, how do you know if it is legitimate?
- Manuka Honey properties are stable and do not loose potency when exposed to heat, light or dilution.
- any honey labelled ‘ACTIVE’ IS NOT PERMITTED by the NZ Government labelling guidelines. Therefore if it has ‘Active’ on the label – we recommend to not purchase this product. What does active mean? and how what tests are taken to proven this?
What is ‘Active’ Manuka Honey?
The name “Active” is used by many to refer to the ‘Total peroxide activity’ which is enzyme created hydrogen peroxide. This substance is not unique to Manuka and can be found in most honeys. This substance breaks down quickly during storage and therefore loses its effectiveness very quickly. The word “active” does not indicate the honey has the special unique ‘non-peroxide’ property, which is only found in Manuka honey.
The New Zealand Government has banned the use of the word ‘Active’ and the active grading system as it is misleading. Unfortunately, ‘Manuka’ that is packed and marketed in overseas markets can still be labelled this way, which creates confusion for consumers.
WE RECOMMEND to only trust New Zealand labeling regulations so you are guaranteed what you purchase is genuine.